I found a great article on WikiHow, explaining How To Write A Short Story. I really like it, and thought I would post the main steps on here. Click through to the article for more details!
- Read plenty of short stories
- Gather ideas for your story - learn how to brainstorm
- Choose an idea and start with the basics of a short story
- Know your characters
- Limit the breadth of your story - days or even minutes
- Decide who will tell the story
- Start writing
- Come out swinging
- Keep writing
- Let the story "write itself"
- Revise and edit
- Get some second opinions
- Incorporate whatever edits, revisions and suggestions are valid
- Do research - i.e. if it's set in the 1950's
- Use music to help connect you to emotions and events you want to convey